Monday, December 8, 2008

Erica Langen

1) I get panicky even thinking about dark water. It doesn't necessarily have to be deep (though that is indefinitely more frightening), but murky, dark, and cloudy. If the light doesn't reach the bottom, I don't want to go in there. This applies to the deep end of pools, rivers, lakes, large puddles, and of course, the ocean.

2) Chewing gum. I absolutely detest it. In my view, it is nothing more than a half-masticated, saliva-drenched food mass with the consistency of industrial rubber. My biggest concern is that I'll put my hand under a chair or under a table and there will be a huge, disease-ridden blob of old Big Red. I am significantly upset if I step in gum on the sidewalk--I feel like crying and my day is more or less ruined. I have to control my literal urge to gag when people stick their half-chewed gum on a plate to save for after a meal. I don't like seeing other people's gum, even if it's safely in their mouth. I do not chew gum myself, and use breathmints to maintain a minty-fresh breath.

Oprah apparently feels the same way about gum and bans chewing gum from her studio. I find this a perfectly acceptable practice, and I would advocate a nation-wide ban on chewing gum.

8 comments:

laura said...

You could move to (or at least visit) Singapore! I heard it's illegal to chew gum there...

Vuraaa said...

hahahaha i was about to comment the exact same thing, then i saw that there was one comment and thought "hmm maybe someone already told her to move to singapore..." and sure enough....

SerJak said...

let me first start off by saying that chewing gum will not hurt you, and even though its a disgusting and repulsive activity to you, i fail to see where fear comes into play HOWEVER... i am not one to speak seeing as how i am deathly afraid of clicking the "minimize window" button. this too seems irrational, but the sheer thought of clicking one button and having my entire perception of everything at the moment just disappear is deeply troubling. whenever i have multiple windows or applications running, i never click on the minimize button, i just let them keep piling up. i find that if i do this im less apt to blow a fuse, go bezerk and end up in the attic in the fetal position again gnawing on my own femur. hows about oprah bans that?

Ana said...

Wow, there is someone who feels the same way that I do about gum! And Oprah does too. How cool! I have a really bad fear of gum too and it's as extreme as yours is.

Ana said...

Wow, there is someone who feels the same way that I do about gum! And Oprah does too. How cool! I have a really bad fear of gum too and it's as extreme as yours is.

Unknown said...

I too share your fear for dark water, but Im also afraid of deep water just as much. When the two are together, I literally go into a panic attack. Its so strong that I can't even pretend to go in. Like in Skyrim, there's a really deep sea that you can't see the bottom of, and I refuse to go through it.

Victoria said...


My dad was diagnosed with early onset Parkinson's disease at 57.his symptoms were shuffling of feet,slurred speech, low volume speech, degradation of hand writing, horrible driving skills, right arm held at 45 degree angle, but now he finally free from the disease with the help of total cure from ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC, he now walks properly and all symptoms has reversed, he had trouble with balance especially at night, getting into the shower and exiting it is difficult,getting into bed is also another thing he finds impossible.we had to find a better solution for his condition which has really helped him a lot,the biggest helped we had was ultimate life clinic they walked us through the proper steps,am highly recommended this www.ultimatelifeclinic.com to anyone who needs help.

David James said...

ApnaShowroom Men's Women's Metal Hair Bands Black Combo set of 5 hairband Unisex
Metal hairband for men women girls hair band Black hair bands for women men boys black metal hairband plastic hair band for women black hairbands for girls boys apna showroom
Apna Showroom Baby Skirt Frock Dress for 6-12 Months - 1 Year Dress skirts frock girls Black
cotton dress for baby girls 0 6 12 months 1 years fancy dress frock costume skirts for baby girls baby dress 1 year girls dress stylish colorful and bright nature apna showroom