Sunday, December 7, 2008

Victoria

I know that many people have social-anxiety disorder, or a fear of crowded places, but I'm sure that each of us has a different reason why. Personally, I'm afraid that if I wander into the middle of a crowd, it will suddenly transform into an angry mob. This mob will either attack me or I will be trampled to death as the mob chases after someone else. For this reason I try to avoid concerts and stadiums and I try to go shopping at off-peak hours. If I MUST go to a crowded spot, then I like to hang out near a wall or in the least dense area.

It should be noted, however, that I did seek some counseling, and so my fear is not as strong as it once was. For example, I now go to dance parties, though a year or two ago I would have never considered such a thing.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Did you read the news about a man in the U.S. (a Wal-Mart employee) who was trampled to death by a mob of shoppers? I think your fear is very much grounded in reality, though I'm glad to hear that therapy helped relieve some of the anxiety.