Monday, December 8, 2008

Anonymous

When I was a kid I was absolutely terrrified that I was going to spontaneously combust. I think I read too many books in the big kid section of library and saw too many episodes of Ripleys, but I spent a great deal of every day worrying I was going to be burst into flames and be turned into ash in a matter or seconds.
Another paranoia that has carried over from my childhood is an irrational fear that I'm going to pick up some sort of incurable disease. I used to lie in bed at night not being able to sleep because I was absolutely convinced I had contracted aids at sometime during the day and didn't know how to tell my mum.
While I've recovered somewhat from the spontanous human combustion thing, I still have an irrational paranoia that I'm going to get really sick and die, which has turned me into a germ freak who avoids all unecessary contact with other humans.

3 comments:

Ben T said...

I find it interesting how similar our fears are...

I was just thinking the other day about how I'm terrified of the ocean and lakes because I can't see what's in them. I can be beside them, but not in or on them.

Also, I'm 16 now and I've chilled out a little bit about it, but even up till when I was 15 I was just so obsessed with worries that I would catch some fatal sickness; AIDS, specifically. I always thought I would get it from other peoples food or just some incredibly unfortunate accident. (That's another thing-I can't share food, I worry something will happen)

But these are rational, if you asked me.

Irrational would be something that you have no logical explanation for. Like being scared of cheese, or something like that. (That said, some people probably are scared of cheese)

Phoenix1344 said...

WOW. I seriously thought I was the only person on earth with this fear. The fear of spontaneously combusting. Even as I write this I am feel really afraid.

For some reason trying to confront this fear makes it worse.

But how did you deal with it?.. I am actually going to go to a counselor because otherwise if I think about it too much I cant sleep.. or.. my stomach starts to hurt.. which leads to more fears.. ugh.

But thanks for sharing.. I feel better knowing that someone else shares this fear. Anyways good luck with overcoming yours.

Victoria said...


My dad was diagnosed with early onset Parkinson's disease at 57.his symptoms were shuffling of feet,slurred speech, low volume speech, degradation of hand writing, horrible driving skills, right arm held at 45 degree angle, but now he finally free from the disease with the help of total cure from ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC, he now walks properly and all symptoms has reversed, he had trouble with balance especially at night, getting into the shower and exiting it is difficult,getting into bed is also another thing he finds impossible.we had to find a better solution for his condition which has really helped him a lot,the biggest helped we had was ultimate life clinic they walked us through the proper steps,am highly recommended this www.ultimatelifeclinic.com to anyone who needs help.